Lucy’s Chicken Biryani
by : Jude De Almeida
My Mother Lucy’s Chicken Biryani
Serves 6 Generously!
What you’ll need:
- 4 packages chicken thighs (with skin and bone)
- Basmati rice
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 2 large chopped onions
- 5 (or less) chopped Serrano or jalapeño peppers
- 4 clove chopped garlic
- 3″ of chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- I teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
How to prepare it:
- Make half a large package of brown basmati rice according to directions and set aside.
- Roast 1 cup unsalted cashews in a saucepan (no oil on medium) and set aside.
- While rice is cooking, sauté together in olive oil on medium heat the onions, peppers, garlic and ginger.
- Combine the coriander, turmeric, cloves and cinnamon. Add warm water and create a paste.
- Add the spice mixture to the onion mixture and sauté all together until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Add the 4 packages of chicken thighs, (the skin and bone add more flavour), to the skillet. Blend well the chicken and spice mixture and cook covered for about 20 minutes on medium heat.
- In roaster or large deep casserole dish, layer cooked rice, chicken mixture, and top with roasted cashews. Repeat layers until all the rice and chicken are used.
- Bake in the oven at 300 (slow cook) for 2 hours. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and lemon pickle.
Beam Good Energy!