Jumbo Prawns & Baby Spinach
by : Jude De Almeida
JUMBO PRAWNS with BABY SPINACH served over BROWN RICE
What you’ll need:
- 20 peeled Jumbo Tiger Prawns
- 312 g (11oz) baby spinach
- Brown rice for four (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1-2 medium-sized Serrano or Jalapeño peppers (chopped)*
- 2″ ginger root (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Red Cayenne Pepper*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
How to prepare:
- Place peeled prawns evenly on a kitchen towel and roll towel with prawns inside. While preparing seasonings, allow prawns to sit in towel to absorb excess moisture.
- In a large skillet add 1/3 cup olive oil, chopped onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and sauté on medium heat until medium-brown. (*Reduce or omit chopped peppers and/or cayenne pepper if you desire less spicy heat.)
- Add turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and sauté together with onion mixture until golden brown. Stir frequently for even cooking.
- Add prawns to onion and seasonings mixture and stir well to coat prawns with seasonings. Continue cooking prawns mixture uncovered on medium heat.
- When prawns are a golden brown, reduce heat, add spinach and let the spinach sit on top of the prawns as it wilts down (5 minutes).
- Stir spinach in with prawns and serve on top of cooked brown rice with dollop of plain yogurt!